Error: MountVolume.SetUp failed for volume with error: Unknown/Unhandled OS type

I have been following the tutorials to set up Portworx on a Flatcar Container Linux Kubernetes Cluster on bare-metal.

When trying to mount the volume to a pod I get the following error:

MountVolume.SetUp failed for volume “pvc-faf1e7ac-13e1-4e81-b1e8-1b55cf0361b6” : rpc error: code = Internal desc = failed to attach volume: cannot attach volume as NFS installation failed on this node [ID: 9ca3418a-8716-4552-8516-d6be206b2e3b] [IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] with error: Unknown/Unhandled OS type

Does anyone know what is causing this issue?

Looks like you are trying to use sharedv4 volumes. Until 2.5.2 they were not supported on Flatcar OS. Can you upgrade your cluster to use the latest Portworx version 2.5.2 ?

@adityadani, Oh wow, that version is only 3 days old and I pulled my spec just a day or two before that. Talk about bleeding edge. Will try it now. Thank you.

That did it. Thank you very much! One remaining question. For me to be able to access a volume from outside of k8s for example for maintenance does it need to be sharedv4 or is there a different way as well?

Yes sharedv4 will be the right kind of volume if you want to access the volume from outside the kubernetes cluster. This forum post will guide you on how to do it:

Also if you plan to do this only during a maintenance window you can convert a regular RWO volume into a sharedv4 (RWX) volume. The following commands can be used to update a volume type when the volume is Not Attached (Not in Use)

## To turn on sharedv4

/opt/pwx/bin/pxctl volume update --sharedv4=on <vol-id>

## Perform maintenance and access the volume outside of k8s

## Once maintenance is done turn the volume back into a regular volume
## To turn off sharedv4 

/opt/pwx/bin/pxctl volume update --sharedv4=off <vol-id>